Based on religion
25% gospel access*
Based on Population
World population 7.83 billion
Population in UPGs: 3.29 billion
% of population in UPGs: 42.0%
Based on People Groups
Total People Groups: 17,433
Total UPGS: 7,418
% of people in UPG: 42.6%
*Access to the Gospel but not following Jesus
UNREACHED & UNSAVED. No witnessing community within their people group or area
UNDER-REACHED & UNSAVED. Most have never had a clear presentation of the Gospel, although it is nearby
REACHED BUT NOT SAVED. Some knowledge of the Gospel, nominal acceptance, “Traditional Christians” in name only
REACHED & SAVED. True followers of Christ
Based on access(3)
7,418 People Groups (42.6%)
Few evangelicals and few who identify as Christians. Little, if any, history of Christianity.
1,126 People Groups (6.5%)
Few evangelicals, but significant number who identify as Christians.
1,812 People Groups (10.4%)
Few evangelicals, but many who identify as Christians. In great need of spiritual renewal and commitment to biblical faith.
3,793 People Groups (21.8%)
Evangelicals have a modest presence.
3,284 People Groups (18.8%)
Evangelicals have a significant presence.
1.899 billion worldwide
4,048 total people groups
24.3% of world population
1.183 billion worldwide
2,491 people groups
15.1% of world population
1.006 billion worldwide
265 people groups
12.9% of world population
what Christians Earn: $53 Trillion annual income of all church members
given to any Christian cause (also how much we spend in America on Christmas)
given to missions
Giving Is Used(5)
used for pastoral ministries of local churches (mostly in Christian nations)
used for “home missions” in same Christian nations
goes toward un-evangelized non-Christian world
goes toward unreached peoples
Evangelical Christians could provide all of the funds needed to plant a church in each of the 7,400 UPGs with only 0.03% of their income
The Church has roughly 3,000 times the financial resources and 9,000 times the manpower needed to finish the Great Commission. If every evangelical gave 10% of their income to missions we could easily support 2 million new missionaries
433,700 foreign missionaries in the world (estimated) (5)
337,000 foreign missionaries in the reached world (77.3%)
85,000 foreign missionaries in the unevangelized world (19.4%)
11,700 foreign missionaries in the unreached world (2.7%) (8)
Only 1 of every 209,086 Christians goes as a missionary to the unreached
There are 54,000 evangelical Christians for every 1 UPG
30:1 (for every 30 missionaries that go to the reached people groups of the world, appx. 1 missionary goes to an unreached people group) (1)
1 for every 405,000
1 for every 260,000
Total languages in the world
Languages with a complete Bible
Languages with a complete New Testament (also have some Old Testament portions)
Languages with some translated Bible portions
no Bible Translation
Languages have work in progress
Languages need translation (or preparatory work) to begin
Languages that are not vital enough to plan translation work
Languages served by Scripture in another language
languages do not have a full Bible in their first language
languages need translation work to begin
(6,182) of these people groups are considered unreached
total people in 10/40 Window
total people UNREACHED in 10/40 Window
of earth’s total land area
of the world’s people reside in the 10/40 window
of the poorest of the poor live in the 10/40 window
of UPGs live in countries closed to missionaries from North America(7)
of evangelical Christians are unaware that there are still people who have never heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ
of Christians believe that reaching the unreached around the world is “very urgent”
Have churchgoers heard of the great commission?
Yes, but I can’t recall its exact meaning
Yes, and it means…
I’m not sure
All mission stats updated May 2022
- 1. The Joshua Project. https://joshuaproject.net/.
- 2. Ralph D. Winter and Bruce A. Koch. Perspectives on the World Christian Movement: A Reader. 4th ed. (Pasadena: William Carey Library, 2009), 541.
- 3. Marvin J. Newell. A Third of Us: What it Takes to Reach the Unreached. (Pasadena: William Carey Publishing, 2021), 7.
- 4. “Status of Global Christianity,” Center for the Study of Global Christianity, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, 2021, https://www.gordonconwell.edu/center-for-global-christianity/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2020/12/Status-of-Global-Christianity-2021.pdf.
- 5. Todd M. Johnson & Gina A. Zurlo, eds. World Christian Database (Leiden/Boston: Brill, 2015).
- 6. David B. Barrett and Todd M. Johnson. World Christian Trends Table (Pasadena: William Carey Library, 2001) Table 20-3, lines 23-26, 44.
- 7. The Traveling Team. “Missions Stats.” 2015. http://www.thetravelingteam.org/stats.
- 8. Todd M. Johnson and Gina A. Zurlo, eds. World Christian Database (Leiden/Boston: Brill, 2022).
- 9. Wycliffe Global Alliance. “2021 Scripture Access Statistics.” 2022. https://www.wycliffe.net/resources/statistics/.
- 10. Barna Group. “Translating The Great Commission.” Barna Report, 2018.